Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee (abbreviated IIT Roorkee or IITR), formerly University of Roorkee and Thomason College of Civil Engineering, is a public engineering university located in Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India. Established in 1847 in British India by the then lieutenant governor, Sir James Thomason, it is the oldest technical institution in Asia. It was given university status in 1949 and was converted into an Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) in 2001, thus becoming the seventh IIT to be declared.
The Central Building Research Institute (CBRI) at Roorkee, Uttarakhand, India, is a constituent establishment of Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, India and has been vested with the responsibility of generating, cultivating and promoting building science and technology in the service of the country.
National Institute of Hydrology (NIH) is an autonomous society under Ministry of Water Resources, River Development & Ganga Rejuvenation, Government of India and has been functioning as a research Institute in the area of hydrology and water resources in the country since December 1978 in Roorkee City.
Main objectives of the institute are to undertake, support, promote and coordinate systematic and scientific research work in all aspects of Hydrology and Water Resources. The institute has its headquarters at Roorkee (Uttarakhand, India), four Regional centers at Belagavi, Jammu, Kakinada and Bhopal, and two Centres for Flood Management Studies at Guwahati and Patna. The institute is well equipped to carry out the computer, laboratory and field oriented studies.
The Irrigation Design Organisation has been serving the state for the last three decades by undertaking the planning and preparation of efficient and economical detailed designs and construction drawings of various multipurpose, hydroelectric and Irrigation projects with the help of well-established infrastructure based on modern techniques. To cater the need of new multipurpose projects which were coming up for execution, particularly in the Yamuna and Ganga Valley located in the central Himalayan region, presently in Uttarakhand, were also assigned to this circle resulting in the creation of Irrigation Design Organisation by expanding the only one Circle to ten Circles under two Chief Engineers in the year 1978 at Roorkee.
Irrigation Research Institute(IRI) was established to carry out Research and Development work under the aegis of the U. P. Irrigation Department in the year 1928 as a small research unit in Lucknow. The success of this small unit was duly acknowledged and in 1945 activities were expanded. The expanded unit was shifted to Bahadarabad (Roorkee) in 1946, where facilities in abundance were available for the physical modeling of hydraulic structures. The research unit at Roorkee rose to a full-fledged Institute in 1954. The Institute gradually developed into a pioneer research station and is now engaged in research and development activities for many hydropower and water resources projects in India. IRI is represented in an advisory capacity on several national technical committees of BIS, CBI&P, IRC and MOST.h IIT to be declared.
The first steam locomotive
India's first aqueduct was constructed over the Solani river, near Roorkee, part of the Ganges canal project, which itself was India's first irrigation work in North India, started by the British. The Ganges Canal led to another first for Roorkee - India's first steam engine, named "Thomason", ran here on December 22, 1851, between Roorkee and Piran Kaliyar, two years before the first passenger train ran from Bombay to Thane in 1853. Operated by the Bengal Sappers, the railway line was built to carry soil used for the construction of the upper Ganges canal aqueduct from Piran Kaliyar, 10 km away from the city. The locomotive rail paths are still intact. The steam engine is presently exhibited at Roorkee Railway Station.
Har-Ki-Pauri is believed to be one of the holiest Ghats in India. It is the first place where the holy river Ganga touches the plains after flowing through the Himalayan range. Har-Ki-Pauri is considered a site of immense religious importance. People from all across the world visit the site to offer their prayers and seek blessings.
Sahastradhara - Sulphur Water Pools Known for the medicinal merits and therapeutic value, Sahastradhara has collection of water pools where water drips from limestone stalactites, turning it to sulphur springs. Apart from medicinal springs.
Mussoorie - The Queen of Hills
Mussoorie - The Queen of Hills. Located at a distance of 105 kms from Hotel Godawari, Mussoorie is a wonderful hill station in Uttarakhand situated at a height of 2005 mts above the sea level. It is situated at the foothills of the Himalayas and is known as the Queen of the Hills.
Rishikesh, the ancient city of temples and ashrams is well known for a variety of things. Be it the serene and majestic river Ganges, ghats, ritual prayers and ceremonies, yoga schools or bristling meditation centers, it is a place where one can easily lose self and experience totality.
En route to Chardham yatra
Nestled among the serene heights of the great Himalayas, are four pilgrim-destinations namely Yamunotri, Gangotri, Kedarnath, and Badrinath, collectively known as Chardham in Uttarakhand. Attracting more and more pilgrims each year, it has become one of the most important hubs of religious travel in Northern India. Traditionally, this pilgrimage tour should begin from the West and end in the East. Thus, the Char Dham Yatra commences from Yamunotri, then proceeding to Gangotri and finally to Kedarnath and Badrinath. In accordance with the Hindu conventions, thousands of devotees take up this pious tour in the hope to experience bliss and successfully purge their souls of all worldly demons. from Hotel Godawari suggests you Commence your Yatra by taking a holy dip at har-ki Pauri.
Piran Kaliyar Sharif, Roorkee
Located in the south of Haridwar, Piran Kaliyar is claimed to have a mystical power that fulfills all the wishes of devotees who visit here. Piran Kaliyar is the dargah (shrine built over the grave of a revered religious figure) of the 13th-century saint of the Chishti order, Alauddin Ali Ahmed Sabir Kalyari, who was also the successor to Baba Farid (1188–1280), and the first in the Sabiriya branch of Chishti Order. The dargah was built by Ibrahim Lodhi, an Afghan ruler of Delhi.